First, this is me coping. Do not feel bad if you need to grieve. Well--adjusted people grieve. I just can't right now. That isn't a good thing, y'all. That said, I'm funneling this shit into some positive actions...starting with volunteering opportunities. My plan is to start with re-establishing the Voting Rights Act. Yes, I know any change is going to be difficult given the future of the Supreme Court, but here's the thing:
We've been in this place before, legally. We know what is wrong and what needs to be changed. We had the deck stacked against us before these laws were put into place. (Not just the VRA but all laws protecting the common person.) It wasn't easy to get them established and they won't be easy to replace. But the number one thing we have in our favor? Systemic Oppression isn't even remotely creative. It merely re-spins the same old shit. We can recognize this shit and end it because we know what to do. We've done it to get as far as we have. We can do this.
And now...the list so far. These organizations need our money (if you can donate) and our time (if you have it.) This list will change. It is not mine. I'm cobbling it together from other sources with permission. Share it far and wide. If you have a suggestion, please add it in comments, and I'll credit you.
- Sothern Poverty Law Center (Thanks to Natalie Luhrs)
- Lambda Legal and GLAD
- CAIR (the Council on American-Islamic Relations)
- Good journalism is vital. Subscribe to your preferred source. NPR, the New York Times, and the Washington Post have done good work at various times this year. Not everyone can pay for content; if you can, why not buy someone else a subscription?
- Planned Parenthood.
- Showing Up For Racial Justice
- Are you a writer? WRITE A LETTER! Have a template for letters about VRA. (Many thanks to Beth Wodzinsky.)
- Jezebel has a magnificent list that is more thorough than mine too. (Thanks, Karen Meschke.)